President Trump and U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro engaged in a rare public spat earlier this month, and the fallout from that could still be emerging.Trump criticized Pirro’s decision to withdraw charges against four people accused of damaging the Reflecting Pool liner at the Lincoln Memorial. Among those charged was former Olympic canoeist David Hearn.
Since then, a Washington, D.C., public forum focused on violent crime and featuring Pirro was abruptly canceled Monday night, marking the second time the event has been called off in two months.
The latest cancellation comes as Pirro faces growing scrutiny over reports of an increasingly public disagreement with Trump.
Organizers did not immediately provide an explanation for why the crime forum was canceled for a second time.
The event, titled “Violent Crime in DC: What’s Worked and What’s Next,” was scheduled to feature Pirro and interim Metropolitan Police Chief Jeffery Carroll in a discussion with residents about crime and public safety in the nation’s capital.
The D.C. Criminal Justice Coordinating Council, which organized the forum, canceled the event without providing a specific reason for the decision.
In a statement, the council said it had no additional information to provide and was instead focused on determining the best approach for future opportunities to engage with the public.
The cancellation marks the second time the forum has been postponed.
Organizers initially canceled the event in June without offering a public explanation before later rescheduling it, only to call it off again Monday.
The latest cancellation comes during a challenging period for Pirro. The dispute centers on the prosecution of Hearn, who was accused of damaging the recently renovated reflecting pool.
Pirro’s office initially pursued felony charges against Hearn.
Prosecutors later moved to dismiss the case after receiving additional evidence that indicated the damage may have resulted from problems with the pool’s installation rather than deliberate vandalism.
Trump did not take the reversal well. He said publicly that he was “really disappointed” in Pirro and that she had “folded like an umbrella.”
He has continued to insist that the pool was vandalized and has pushed to have the suspects re-charged. The Wall Street Journal reported this week that the Justice Dept. is looking into the matter.
Trump spent the weekend arguing that the damage to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool was caused by vandalism, pointing to court documents he posted on Truth Social that cited a “highly credible witness.”
According to the documents, the witness claimed to have seen 67-year-old Hearn “violently” tearing the pool’s newly installed blue lining.
Trump called on Pirro to “revisit her hastily made decision” to drop the prosecution.
Reports that officials could consider reopening the case come following Todd Blanche’s confirmation as attorney general.
Blanche has faced questions about the Justice Department’s approach to politically sensitive prosecutions but declined to directly address reporters’ questions about Pirro’s handling of the Hearn case.
Last week, the judge overseeing Hearn’s case agreed to dismiss the charges.
The court is expected to hold another hearing next month to determine whether the dismissal should be entered “with prejudice,” which would prevent federal prosecutors from bringing charges against Hearn again based on the same alleged conduct.
In a court filing seeking dismissal of the charges against Hearn, Pirro’s office acknowledged that the “American flag blue” sealant used on the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool began peeling “almost immediately” after renovation work was completed last month.
The filing raised questions about whether the damage initially attributed to vandalism was instead connected to problems with the recently applied material.
The Department of Interior “provided less than fulsome information at the outset of this case,” said the filing from Pirro’s office.